View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #40
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel Holler View Post
If money were no object, I would buy Festool. What’s interesting about Festool is how all the tools have been designed from the ground up to optimize dust extraction. Plus, I drool over the Systainer organization system!

But you can’t buy these tools locally (that I know of), and the cordless repertoire is modest. And more expensive. So, I have gone with Makita and been very happy.

The main benefit is the quality of the tools. They are sturdy, durable, solid, consistent, reliable. They’re thoughtfully designed and just work well. Looking at reviews and comparisons of individual tools, the Makitas almost always perform ably. Then, the selection. You can get just about any power tool. I have found the caulk gun surprisingly useful (yes, I admit, I’m a tool junkie.) Plus, it’s very convenient that I can use the same batteries in my leaf blower, shop vac, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, etc.

I own all the tools you mentioned, all Makita. I got the 10” sliding compound miter saw this year, and it’s awesome. I wasn’t sure it would be powerful enough- it is. Cut my new dock posts no problem. Plus, it’s so much quieter than the Craftsman it replaced. The recipro, circ saw, impact driver, hammer drill are all pretty standard, quality tools. The barrel handle jigsaw is a standout.

Before I moved to Makita, I had a Ryobi system. It was ok, but the tools were nothing special, and I got a couple bad batteries in a row, so I just felt I needed an upgrade. I strongly considered DeWalt because they (some anyway) are made in the USA, and the price is close to Makita, and they’re easy to get locally. But I wasn’t really impressed with the first few tools I got (which happened to be a circ saw and a palm sander), so ended up with Makita.

Now, I’m waiting for Makita to make a framing nailer so I can replace my crappy (by comparison) Metabo. And I’m waiting for a cordless belt sander...

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I've had them all too and I prefer Makita over all the others. Although I do have a Milwaukee corded skill saw and Sawzall which I've had for over 30 years that are still going strong.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote