Thread: The Dive?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #221
ApS

Arrow This "Better Idea" Faces a Short Season...

Reading the news-aggregating websites, I'm seeing a lot of incidental advertising for waterborne group activities. (Cruising, weddings, etc.) Presently, Google-ads are displaying Maine schooners and medium-sized cruise boats plying the Hawaiian island of Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Seems like The Dive will have to anchor. It's one big sail
"The Dive" crew is going to learn a lot about sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The segue was obvious to me: Floating restaurant begets hiking complaint, hiking complaint begets illegal immigration rant. Obvious, no? Anyway, my thoughts: I doubt someone would go to the trouble of building this if they were unable to get permits to use it as intended. It's not my scene, but I think it's pretty neat and I hope it's successful. It's a clever way to open a boat-to restaurant without needing to buy expensive real estate. For those that are concerned about the environmental impact should consider how this thing will NOT require more than a dock's width of waterfront property and won't require a paved parking lot right next to the lake. Draft will be extremely shallow. There's just not that much mass: surface area there and it likely has an utterly flat hull. It will blend nicely with the uglier homes on the lake, not so much the boats, but it will look better than some of them.
I don't think the post anchors will exclude it from overnight mooring laws and I'd be willing to bet it will return to a dock or mooring every night. Considering where it's being built and the slow cruising speed, I suspect it will typically be a short trip...
Any "post anchors" (called "spuds") appearing in earlier photos, apparently were attached to something adjacent, but I think they should have been equipped with at least one.