Thread: Help the MP's
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
I have suggested this in the past as a cost effective way to enhance the Marine Patrol staffing with professional police officers and the Marine Patrol budget.

Merge the Marine Patrol into the NH State Police force. The Marine Patrol would be staffed by State Troopers with additional marine training and in the off season work as troopers doing other duty.

When I first proposed this years ago it was roundly trashed, I recall one poster (I don't remember or care who) flately stated state troopers would never give up their guns to do Marine Patrol duty (I didn't bother to respond since that was a foolish post)

Bottom line. It would enhance the Marine Patrol budget because it would no longer have to rely exclusively on boat registrations for funding, and would provide the Marine Patrol with full time professional police officers instead of the seasonal...dare I say...rent a cops...that they rely on now.

So, no I wouldn't support an additional fee until this avenue is explored.
I think this idea is fine, it could almost be the right before retirement division of state police. They also just went through a merger with DOT anyway so it would still be fresh in their minds on how to pull it off.

I would much rather deal with a state trooper than a towny or seasonal MP anyways, they always seem to be very professional and are willing to work with you.

In my youth I was pulled over by a state trooper in Hooksett that found more than one violation on my vehicle (tint, aftermarket lights on, large yellow Ford decal covering the back window, the list goes on) and let me off with a warning that he was going to make a call to the police in Loudon (my hometown, and because I had these items for about nine months) and mention the stop and all the things that needed to be removed from my car. The next day I was pulled over in town because I did not remove the tint from the rear window. He also took the time to explain how each item was illegal and why, in all the times I had been pulled over as a kid, NH State Troopers where always easier to talk to.

I am all for it, the older MP's might not like it that much.