View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #76
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
Elchase, I take exception to you calling a long time and well respected member of this and another forum a thug. When you have been around here a while you will figure out the outstanding humor and sincerity and caring from most of our members. Each of us has a personality online that others have come to appreciate. This cannot be discerned from being here a short time.

Hazelnut is one of my favorite posters with a great sense of humor. Please take your nastiness elsewhere.

IG
IG,

Thanks so much! Almost brought a tear to my eye. *sniff* *sniff*

I have gone back and re-read my post and I guess if I were overly sensitive I would take it as a threat. Really though if you know me you'd know that was not the intention of the post. It's the old saying: "If I have to explain it, it aint' funny."
The funny thing is though it got such a rise and reaction out of that particular individual that I felt like the post worked better than I had planned. The person unknowingly admitted that it would be just about criminal for people to drive by someone's house obeying a nighttime speed limit that they propose (I.E. 16-18 MPH).

The real issue here that the opposition fails to recognize is that many boats on the lake cause real shoreline damage when cruising at or below 20 MPH. Many boats have a difficult time maintaining adequate steerage below 25 MPH.

Another side affect of the law is that you now have many nighttime captains with their heads buried in their speedometers fretting over their speed. We have taken the decision away from the captain as to how he or she operates his or her vessel reasonably at night. I for one have caught myself at night and said to myself "OH SHOOT, Speed Limit." Then I find myself obsessing over a few measly miles per hour. Why? I rarely traveled faster than 35 MPH at night. 30-32 It is an optimal speed for my boat day or night. So now I have to temper that down a bit and it is an extra effort that distracts me from the many many other tasks related to safe operation at night.

About Me: I have been driving on this lake for over 28 years, day AND night. This year was the least enjoyable year for me at night. My boat is a 248LS Monterey Bow Rider. Max Speed 50.1 with a strong tailwind, half tank of fuel, and 2 Passengers. Realistically the boat does 47MPH according to the GPS. I will most likely own this boat for the next 10+ years.

I am on record supporting a compromise. I stand by that position. It seems that non-boating lawmakers are making these arbitrary laws using numbers pulled out of the sky. I really wish the legislature would assemble a study group comprised of individuals representing all pursuits. I wish these people could assemble and logically discuss all facts and remove the emotion from the discussion. They could remove the words "afraid" and "scared" from the discussion. Replace those words with "reasonable" and "prudent." Perhaps all sides could be heard and boaters could explain why certain numbers don't work at certain times. Maybe just maybe a compromise could be reached and all sides could have input.

Unfortunately lawmakers don't work that way. Most create bills and subsequent laws solely for the purpose of press coverage and notoriety.
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post: