View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Buy Your Own Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleman View Post
I head up to Winni for the weekend tonight. Snowblow the driveway and my wife says cable is not working. She states only channels 2 to 27 are working. I call up metrocast and they say there was a glitch in the system and you were getting extra channels for free before. So I say I was paying 70 dollars for your slowest internet and cable for 69 dollars a month with 27 poor channels. She says yes. To get the same channels as before I have to pay 140 a month and pay 55 dollars to have a guy turn a switch at the pole. She says yes. So as she is talking I say isn't it cheaper for you VIP deal. Oh yes it is and you get locked in on price and faster internet but someone has to be home to change out the modem. I said I'm not sure when I will be back. What a ripoff.
Why even use their modem? You get charged a monthly fee to rent their modem. If you buy your own modem, it will pay for itself in less than a year. You can buy them at Staples, Best Buy, and probably Sams or BJs. Installation is simple. Hook up the cable to the modem. Connect the modem to your router with the cable that comes with the router, call the cable company and give them the modem's MAC address, and you're done. My Motorola modem cost $60 and replaced the modem I was renting from the cable company for $7.50 per month.
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote