View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #55
ApS

Arrow "Blast" from the Past...

My family had moved adjacent to the Wolfeboro Airpark 12 years before the below flyover took place. Judging by the below video, no military jet flyover at that altitude has occurred since.

This 1967 flyover occurred above Camp Wyanoke on the shore of Winter Harbor—adjacent to Carry Beach. While I'd heard of this flyover "over the Internet", I've just received an email with more detailing:

Quote:
"That Jet was a USAF F-4 Phantom, the Pilot was a former Wyanoke camper that broke every Civil Air & USAF Rule of Flight to WOW the folks on the ground at [Camp] Wyanoke. He did just that doing well over 500 knots below 500 feet causing the waters to part with his thrust and ear piercing roar of his Twin J-79 Supersonic Powered Engines. I think it scared everyone in boats, canoes and kayaks to do their own rollovers into the waters of Wolfeboro Neck for cover. It was by Far the Most Incredible Stunt ever pulled off at Wyanoke
"With knowledge aforethought" filmed over Camp Wyanoke—perhaps on Super-8 movie film—the accompanying YouTube video appears here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfju...ature=youtu.be
The actual flyover begins upon the accompanying song's lyrics, "...when this war is over...". Less than a mile away, the Horns' telephone was ringing off the hook at the Airpark.

However, the video shows a jet with a single exhaust, intake, and engine—and appears to be a F8U Crusader. This puts the above quote into the category of "Mists of Memory and Time". "Writer's License"? To be fair, they are both U.S. Navy jets.

A video comparing the two fighters in a "friendly dogfight":
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x47vsla