View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #43
Airwaves

Default "This card certifies that __has successfully completed the US Coast Guard Aux..."

My drivers license however states "Massachusetts Drivers License"

My entire point is that a certificate of accomplishment is not a license. A license has a finite lifespan. Certainly NH can revoke a person's right to operate a boat on NH waters but they can not revoke a certificate of accomplishment.

NH and the Coast Guard, and some other jurisdictions do offer boating licenses, but they are generally for folks involved in the commercial aspect of boating not the average recreational boater. Those licenses are for a finite period of time, with specific restrictions and must be reapplied for upon expiring, unlike a certificate of accomplishment.

I just looked at my US Coast Guard Auxiliary certificate, it "certifies" I successfully completed the course, it does not contain my DOB or any other information beyond my name.

Certainly NH can revoke boating privileges, and certainly NH can revoke a license issued by the state, but a certifcate of accomplishment is not a license.

My entire point is this. The use of the word license when talking about a certificate of accomplishment is not accurate.