View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #144
Sue Doe-Nym

Default I hear you, loud and clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
A very substantial portion of the taxes are paid by non-voting (non-resident) taxpayers so the ballot box option is not available.

You may be able to have a conversation with your Selectmen but they will probably pay more attention to voters than they do to non-voters. As a non-resident you cannot vote or speak at a town meeting so your influence on town budget matters is very limited.

If your New Hampshire home is not your primary residence you are basically along for the (expensive) ride. But, so far it is worth the price!
For years, we were non-resident taxpayers, and quite frankly, we didn’t think much about it because our tax bill was so low. However, one of the reasons we are vocal when spending threatens to be unreasonable is that we recognize the plight of the non-resident regarding taxation. I don’t have the exact number, but I think 70% of our taxes are paid by non-residents, and many of the properties are waterfront. The choice the non-residents have is to declare their NH property their primary residence.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote