View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #139
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Property tax assessment isn't exact.... but I will take it every day over an income and/or sales tax!

Woodsy
No its not exact...... And while on some levels I agree with your statement, at others I do not. Property Tax, only limits your revenue base... Even with room and Board tax, you have a limited tax base.... Likewise the same is true of income tax.

However if you look at sales tax, dependent on your tourism and over the border shoppers spending whims, you don't limit your tax base, rather in the case of NH you significantly raise it. The amount of people that come into NH for the day, to see the sights or "save on sales tax" is significant. Everyone fears sales tax in NH because once they have it it will only increase.... But you know if they set sale tax, and put the correct checks an balances in place to keep it from growing exponentially, a simple 1% sales taxes, will create a huge amount of revenue for the state.....

Or NH can continue to tax the non-resident tax paying property owners, to the point, that NH stops becoming a desirable place to own a second home...... There is a double edge sword at play..... And while as a Lake front property owner, there are somethings I must deal with, such as the value of my property continuing to go up.... I don't think any property owner, should be asked to carry the burden of financing the state, when there is a sizable amount of non-resident, non meals and rooms tax paying, tax base out there that could be tapped.......