View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #134
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
The property assessment does include a building.
It includes a type use as well: Island Camp.
It does not have plumbing or heat or electricity. According to the property card it has a bathroom. It used to have a bathroom, it no longer has a bathroom.
My idea of market value has a bit of data behind it, especially recent data to back it up. Two parcels very recently sold on our island for an average of about $116K each, one with a structure, one without. There is no way we could get more than $150K to $160K for what we have. Which is why when the reassessment came in at $263K I was floored.
It would be nice if the towns would actually look at what you can sell it for, before they arbitrarily look at stats for assessed value.
The assessment companies DO look at recent sales and take that into account. I would bet that in their "updating" your Island Camp might have been tweaked into an Island "Cottage" with full facilities until you spoke up.

I would note that the town does none of this. They hire professionals and when mistakes are found, correct them. It is up to the homeowner to verify their house description is correct. Why would the town check out the work of a professional they just paid to do the same thing? But mistakes can be made. Sometimes it is because the assessors have no access to the building. In my case, it was unheated areas listed as heated and unfinished areas listed as finished. My assessment was probably fair if the house had the features as listed.

It would be interesting to know what they based the raised appraisal on and what they then fixed.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote