View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
LakeSnake

Default Backing Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Not everyone!!!!!! For me, it depends on the situation. I have a hard time backing out of an inside spot when I have to back between 2 boats tied at the ends of finger docks like you would find at Wolfeboro or Weirs public docks. I usually end up drifting to one side or the other and while I can control the stern by turning the drive, the bow tends to wander on me and I worry about bumping a boat tied to the docks; the last thing I want to do is bump in to someone else's boat and possibly cause damage to their's or my own boat. So far, my solution has been to avoid tying up in an inside spot and it works well for the most part. Some day, I'll have to get some advice from someone who's more proficient at backing in tight quarters. Any volunteers?
Wolfeboro Baja - I think what you are describing is oversteer - easy to do in a boat in both directions. The key (for me at least) to backing out straight is make sure the stern drive is pointing straight to start with (I can't see mine due to swim platform - so I just count the sterring wheel revolutions lock to lock and divide by 2 - to center the wheel/drive).

Then I make sure the engine is warmed up - don't want to be backing up when the engine is on fast idle (to much speed -per previous poster). I use this time to get everything in the boat ready (bunper away, etc) including un-tieing the boat and putting the dock lines away - I have my first mate hold (by hand) the boat at the dock at this point.

When ready to leave the dock I have all passengers take thier seats (passenger movement makes things difficult at low speed) while I hold the boat to the dock. When ready I push the boat gently away from the dock from the middle of the boat - object being to end up with the boat in the middle of the "lane" and straight. Then put into reverse (with the stern drive straight per preivious step) and back straight out.

I find that minimal sterring corection is required. Also if you need to make adjustment make small ones - and return the stern drive to straight once you see the stern of the boat respond to each adjustment (helps to keep the bow from swinging around).

Hope this helps...

PS. remember any docking you can walk away from is a good one
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeSnake For This Useful Post: