View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #18
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Samiam, I totally agree and can totally relate. I remember being taught by my father that a man was no better than his word, and that a handshake was as good as a written contract.

I was taught to not argue about religion or politics, the best way to potentially destroy a friendship. Yet, it was possible to discuss these subjects with civility, and to end those discussions with an agreement to agree to disagree. Opinions are like noses (or any other part of the anatomy you may prefer), everyone has one, and the most be respect for them.

I was taught to open and hold doors open not just for women but for whomever may be following behind you. When two people arrived at the same point, say "Please, go ahead.".

Bottom line, I guess it was all about respect for all. It was working for the common good. It didn't have to it's my way or the highway. Compromise was not a sign of weakness, it was working on a solution for the majority.

Civility and respect were probably tops in life's lessons, back in the 50's and early 60's.

Oh, and if Mom said no, don't bother going to Dad (or vice versa), the answer would be the same.

Dave
Hand shakes no more, another staple of the past we will lose.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: