View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 08:37 PM   #94
ApS

Question Frankham? Not Frankum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I remember visiting Brad Frankham next to Johnson Cove in the 50's. Not a great place to anchor due to logs left over from the sawmill and the hurricane of '38 if I remember correctly. Lots of steps up the steep hill to his house. He had a 36' Chris Craft (Sea Witch), a Laker, can't recall name, and a sailboat converted to steam (Punkin Seed). Same place? It probably wasn't called Johnson Cove in those days.
Everywhere else, it's always been Johnson's Cove; however, one chart had listed the cove as "Ike's Cove". The most prominent part of Johnson's Cove is a tiny sandy cove, alternatively called Frankum's Beach or "Land's End" by us locals.

At "Shadowbrook", I bought a Model "T" Ford from Brad Frankum: It was painted white with red spoked wheels.

Back then, perhaps 50 logs were floating next to the sawmill, attached with huge iron staples—chained together to keep them from drifting away. Many other logs had sunk to the bottom, or were resting on end—angled hither and yon.

On weekends, fishermen collected in twos and threes to catch lunkers there.

Here's a re-photograph taken of the Sea Witch—recently hanging in his expansive living room.

Also, I reported (here) his entire 50-foot dock floating in Winter Harbor just after Ice-Out.

A "fuller" picture:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: