Thread: First big tow
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Kamper

I did this about 20 years ago with a similar rig. I put a tie-down across the bow as well as the stern. (Using dock lines for this will work as well.) I used a 'transom saver' but some folks are comfortable adding a wood block or 2X4 between the shaft and the transom. Just make sure it's secured with more than just pressure.

Bring passports in case you decide to pop-over the line. There is/was a customs barge operated by Canada where you can check-in. Their safety equipment needs are close to ours but a 'throw-bag' is mandatory. If you have an unlicensed VHF, they will issue you a temporary license unless you declare you will only use it in an emergency.

Try to get a chart in advance. The campground I stayed at only had a fishing map. At my first gas-stop I got all 3 chart sections but (IMO) the fishing map had the same depths and buoys plus fishing spots so I could have gotten by with that.

There is a lot less to do shore-side than Winni but you're there for the water so who cares, right?
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote