View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #7
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
You don't want to mount panels on an old roof, but they are easily removed and reinstalled in the unlikely case you need to repair shingles, and as you'd expect, all decent installers insure you for any damage done during install.

I would not hesitate on the newness on the shingles--they a lot lot simpler than a car
All great questions and points. As FlyingScot said - they actually clip together relatively easily (not that I would do it, but for others to repair) and are warrantied. They are supposed to be highly durable (ie - take a hammer to them and no damage to the Tesla Shingle per several video's i've seen). I switched the house over to propane from oil (and soon natural gas when that's available on the street which Portsmouth says is coming in the not too distant future). When i took 3rd floor unit down to studs and redid, I removed one of the chimneys sticking above the roof. I've got one more chiney left which I plan to have taken down to below roofline so I don't see any damage coming from anything else (unless something falls from the sky like parts of plane engines potentially) . All tree and tree branches that could hit the 'roof' i've cut back or had taken down to bring more natural light to the property.

Your point is very well taken regarding the Powerwall. As it's a rental property (4 units), no Teslas or other EV's will be tapping the system for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure I need one. Doesn't mean that can't change, but if it does, I could always add that at a later date. Guessing prices will continue to decline as volume increases. My only thought for getting one was consistency in power and second in case the power goes out (Which only happens a few times a year in Downtown Portsmouth), the house would still have power for X time - whatever X is... Right now, I get calls that Power is out and during the winter, I do bite my nails that it will stay out for a long period of time to the point where i would need to bring my generator over. Both points I need to do more research on and collect more professional opinions, which is one of the reason for the post, so thank you :-)

Regarding ROI - I dont' have that exact number for you. To dive deeper into the details, I need to replace the entire roof anyways, so there is a cost to that already. The million dolar question is what is the price premium for the Solar Shingles over standard shingles. I pay $130ish per month for one units electric (as it has community lights, outdoor lights, etc. tied to his meter and don't feel it's right that he inherit that bill), plus I feel I could add the rest of the units onto the solar shingles and essentially up each units rent $100 or so a month. So I look at it as i would get roughly $400+ in electric revenue per month, thus $4800 per year. We will see where final figures come in, but since replacing the entire roof already, the cost premium ROI I'm guessing is just a few years at most.

Link to one of the various financial calculations out there (Date: Jan 2021)
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/te...match-the-hype

Regarding MSWLogo's question: "Note that the most efficient time of year for my solar system is not summer. It’s later spring. Because the panels are cooler. And air can flow under them to keep them cool. How do shingles stay cooler? Maybe Tesla has an answer for this." --- Great point and question and from what I can gather:

Tesla currently installs the roof with air underneath the tiles. They are more than strong enough to support 'a lot of weight' on them. Not sure what a lot of weight is, but could probably dig it up. The second video in this link shows the install of Tesla Solar Shingles and you can see the gap between the roof and Tesla Shingles: https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2020/10/...-sons-roofing/

Looks to be a solid inch or two. I've watched several installation videos to see how it comes together. Makes a lot of sense to be. I just know I wouldn't want to be on the shingle side on my roof due to the steep pitch
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeTimes For This Useful Post: