View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvsea View Post
Been in boats since the 60's and the lack of Seamanship I see appalls me..I think if people had grown up in, and been schooled in a boating family the skills would be handed down and tried and true. I think these days it's just checkbook and Raybans and off we go..CG course in a high school somewhere with No practical exam.. It's a wonder more people aren't hurt...
Well yep this is pretty much the problem, and its not just about a checkbook... it is about someones ability to get a loan. Back when most of us got into boating, you didn't take a loan out, you paid for the boat out right. Not now, now you finance for 12 - 15 years, or better yet by a cruiser and take out a mortgage... It has become way to easy to get a boat... and their are a lot of boaters that are first timers.

Now onto the docking subject.... to many people are really awful at this maneuver .... people really need to learn that practice practice practice is how to get better.... When I was learning to operate the boat, and we found ample unoccupied dock public dock space... my father would have me pull in and out several time, from several directions... it really taught me how to handle a boat....even now, I go to Center Harbor almost every weekend... I always come into the docks differently... some time I even back in... to keep the skills tuned....

I don't care if there is ever a practical on the water exam to get the right to boat... however what I do care about, is how people come into this hobby.... experienced boaters need to do a better job mentoring new boaters... And new boaters need to start realizing what a privilege it is to own a boat.....