View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #172
VtSteve

Case in point. It's going to be a crazy weekend out there because it's the first weekend of summer

I just witnessed something new here on Lake Champlain. Coming back at twilight, through 15 minutes past sundown, many, many boats heading through the bay. It's about six miles out to the broad lake. Coming in, at 21.5 mph.

I saw

1) six PWC's at full clip (no lights, law says no PWC's) off my port bow.

2) four different boats, no lights, willy nilly, too close, no right of way, etc...

3) worst of all, at the beginning of my return from pizza eating at sunset....

Two boats off my starboard bow, closing quickly. I was apparently in the middle My lights were on, none from theirs. One was a Sea Doo small craft Boat, the other was a quai GF boat around 25/26'. The Sea Doo saw me. I might have actually made a mistake by immediately slowing to headway speed. (I was wondering if I should just turn around and gun it). The other larger boat?

He never changed course, never slowed down, AND NEVER EVEN SAW ME He was standing in the center of the boat, head turned starboard towards the read, TALKING TO A PASSENGER!!!!

Both were doing probably around 35 to 40 mph.

But wait, it gets better.

A POLICE BOAT witnessed the boats and PWC's out at dark with no lights. He just kept going, and HE was too close to me.

Sad, so sad.