Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts

Baygo has added some good perspective to this thread. Thank you.
Some thoughts that might help, but are not universally applicable.
In my day at summer jobs, 2-4 kids would rent a cottage for the summer and share. Sometimes this was at a campground. Some resorts had and still have,. accommodations for staff.
I'd recommend a bonus at the end of the season for staff who stay through an agreed upon date.
The McDonald's example above for tuition assistance is great, but harder for independent restaurants. They could offer signing bonuses to get good workers to come back next year.
For diners: Going to a restaurant cold and expecting a table immediately is probably a thing of the past. Learn to make reservations. If the establishment doesn't offer that service, go someplace that does, or be satisfied waiting in line.
More restaurants should be taking reservations online. Even my barber shop does this. It's a great convenience as well as a good tracking tool for management.
Learn to serve earlier. Learn to eat earlier. You don't have to be over 70 to seat for the early bird special. Same applies for those who might be able to eat at 9:00. Give them a special too.
The Common Man, and others, puts out cheese and crackers for customers to serve themselves as they are seated. Takes a little timing pressure off clients and servers. Remember when salad bars were popular? Same purpose. Why did those go away?
Don't forget that it is not only the servers who are limiting the number of tables that are open. Kitchen staff only has so many burners and ovens on the stove, and food won't cook any faster because the dining room has a waiting line.
Maybe this happens and I don't see it: Schools that offer hospitality industry curricula could be more formal in giving credit for seasonal related jobs that would allow work in May and September. There re schools that offer the month of January for independent study. Could the ski industry benefit.

I repeat my favorite: ONLINE RESERVATIONS benefit client and management.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: