View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
4 for Boating

Default Post and Beam

I have to say we have been down this same road. Currently we have a camp that we have thought about knocking down for a Post and Beam Hybrid ~2,700 sq/ft home. We started thinking about this some 6-7 years ago. At that time, it seemed that sub $500K was a realistic target. Lots of good companies doing P&B kits and Hybrids (Habitat – Canadian Timber frames – Timberpeg…) beautiful homes and a few local builders experienced with these designs. All-be-it we were not envisioning a huge/grandiose home. Some builders can give you the P&B “look” inside without the actual structural aspects and increased costs. Not sure how good or bad those look.

Cut to today and the prices have gone through the roof with the same homes pushing $800K-$900K easy to build. (Close to $300 sq/ft) As others have called out – materials, the shortage of labor and the current economy are key factors. In fact, I spoke to one local builder doing a nice P&B Hybrid home that is almost done and his advice was not to build right now as the prices are crazy high and he’s struck by where the end price for the home will end up. Although there seems to be no shortage of people with money to buy million-dollar homes in the area.

I’m sort of second guessing myself as back 6 years ago my thought was to save more as to not have to take out a larger mortgage but now I find myself chasing an ever-increasing price point where I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to catch – joke.

Let us know how you make out as if you do find some sort of secret sauce to get this done without creating a financial disaster – we will be right behind you…. As for right now we will continue to enjoy the camp, lower taxes and squirrel our money away.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote