View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #81
ApS

Arrow So What Happened Here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Is that picture showing the original shoreline of the lake?
Not sure what that means. The photo was taken last week. A photo taken a few years ago isn't likely to help (due to distance) but I'll try to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
This is the most ridiculous statement ever – so the waves of a boat that you classify as “oversize” without definition are the ONLY thing that is supposedly doing this. So I can easily throw a 2.5 foot wake behind my 14’ aluminum boat, I guess that if it doesn’t make your “oversized” list won’t do a thing but the same sized wake from a boat you don’t like or classify as “oversized” is destroying the shore? I’m trying not to laugh to hard at that one. How about the wakes created by passing sailboats? Oh right those are OK because they are on the “approved” APS list of boats.
Since a 40-foot Tri-Toon would definitely make my "approved ApS list, so "oversized" obviously/intentionally doesn't apply to all boats. Note that even the largest—and most heavily loaded—pontoon boat can't compare with most powerboats half that length in damaging shorelines.

Quote:
This tree is not obviously falling into the lake, in fact it looks based on the size and shape of the base of the trunk been there for a long time. In fact, if you look at the tree right next to it in the same picture grew out nearly horizontal before making a 90 degree angle and grew quasi vertically. Based on the size of that trunk both have been there a long time. Again, though for the purposes of over dramatization trees never start to grow anywhere unless it was perfectly cultivated. It’s not in the least bit possible that trees don’t prefer to grow in a direction where their unimpeded by surrounding trees or for that matter in the direction of where they would be exposed to the most sun – in this case over the water? Nah could never happen on planet APS. Last time I was in winter harbor I’m sorry but I missed “many of the trees” along the shore are at risk of “sliding into the lake”. You’d think Winter Harbor is a pending disaster area with all these dangerous trees along the shore on the verge of falling into the lake and killing somebody! BTW in taking a walk along my frontage yesterday I spied several saplings growing at precarious angles out over the water right out of the shore line rocks. Shockingly it happens.
All plants grow to reflect geotropism and heliotropism. The "bent" tree you refer to had some environmental "upset"; most likely, it lost its soil base as a young tree, then continued growing normally. Most deciduous trees are capable of growing so as to appear contorted.

Most coniferous trees will grow straight; but if their trunks appear bent, it's because of shifting soil or rocks.

This palm tree had some kind of misadventure, but has responded to gravity and sun to resume growing straight upwards again:

Most alarming is the number of Winter Harbor trees that fall into the lake, which varies every season. When they fall on the ice, they're carried away, they're never seen again—above water. When they land in the lake, these trees remain tentatively attached to the shoreline before they sink. In either case, they add to the nutrient levels in the lake—along with the soil they release. Many are simply cut down. Presently in Johnson's Cove, there's a stack of (apparently useless) cut logs piled directly abutting the lake. Will they be there next Spring?

What the NHMP does with fallen trees when they are called to drag them away—IDK.

Quote:
There is a reason for that, because waves of this kind do not “compound”. May want to read up on the science of waves in water.
There's been a confusion of "waves" and "wakes" here.

But as a proponent of "common sense", wouldn't waves and wakes compound one-another, regardless of their direction? Southbound wakes should be expected to add their "throw-weight" to a wave driven by a North wind. Especially a strong wind capable of the erosion suggested here by others.

Or to other wakes whose shoreline throw-weight is randomly synchronized with other wakes?

Quote:
Wait a minute…. Didn’t you say this? So which is it? Now you are contradicting yourself by saying this is happening invisibly then post a picture of a bottle of water visibly that suggests otherwise. Embellishing your argument makes you look silly, how is anyone supposed to take what you say seriously? LOL I certainly don’t.
That incomplete post has been edited with the following:
—versus the container filled a few days earlier?

What happened here?
Attached Images