CanisLupusArctos

Default A little cooler on the lake

From Black Cat Island...

7 June> 84 / 55

8 June> 88 / 63

9 June> 89 / 66

10 June> 89 / 66

Dewpoints were around 70 all four days.

As far as this being a sign of things to come this summer, yes and no. The weather pattern is stuck in April, thanks to La Nina (cooling of Pacific equator waters) and most recently the Pacific Decadal Circulation has shifted to negative (cool.)

With that said, my call is for continued cold fronts, many of which will be abnormally strong for summertime, coming off the northern Pacific and out of Canada on a regular basis. As mentioned earlier, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so a strong southward punch of cold air over one half of the country is most likely going be be accompanied by a strong northward push of warm air on the other side of the country. Wherever the cold pushes the hot out of the way, we will see more severe weather. Given the accumulating snow we've had in some of the cities out west during the last couple days, I think we will probably keep hearing of snows in the Rockies throughout the summer. Maybe less frequent at the height of summer, but I think at least once in July and once in August is a good bet right now.

Simplified forecast for the Lakes Region this summer: A see-saw of seasons. We've already had it this past week: Temps in the 50s with drizzle, then a 4-day heat wave. Tonight as I write this we are having October... and there are even frost advisories in effect for Northern Grafton, northern Carroll, and Coos counties tonight... some of the usual cold spots in the Lakes Region may also have frost tonight.

After getting up to 71 degrees in the heat wave, the water temp is now back in the 50s and cooler on the surface than underneath (autumn behavior.)

Don't worry, the heat will be back. Only to be followed by more cool. And so on...
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote