Thread: Heat wave?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
CanisLupusArctos

I'm going for 90 for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at the lake. Beyond that, the pattern does look like it wants to stay in place for a while.

A precursor of things to come? Yes and no. I don't see steady-hot, but a continuation of what we've seen nationwide for the last 2 months: Back-and-forth. The polar region has very cold air over it, and has been sending us strong cold fronts. Every time they come down out of Canada, there's been an equal-opposite reaction from the south -- a northward push of heat.

In the Rockies during the last couple weeks they've seen a few days of 90+ followed by a few days of snow. My friends in Phoenix said it was over 100 one day and then down to the 60s the next day. While we won't get that extreme, I do see that sort of battle continuing through at least the first half of summer.

That is why I think everyone in this area should review severe weather safety rules. The battle I mentioned above is the reason for all the severe weather we've been hearing about on the news the last couple months, and the only reason we haven't been getting it here in New England is because we are the last place in the country for the summertime air to reach. We've gotten the cold fronts, but in New England they haven't had much heat to play with.

Now they will. The heat will reach us, as it normally should at this time of year, but I see plenty of reason for the cold fronts to keep coming. The cold air will still be at its source long after this first potential heat wave gives us a break from it. Last winter there was a significant growth of sea ice in the arctic (following several years of loss), and that is likely the source of some of the cold air that's been doing battle over the US this spring. There are a few other reasons I think the cold air will be on the warpath this summer.

My prediction at the moment is for a back-and-forth summer with lots of battle during each cool-down, and "hail sales" from the car dealers. A summer for the weather geeks with their video cameras, and who knows, we might see a live broadcast from TWC's Jim Cantore somewhere in New England once or twice this summer.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote