View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #60
Kracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
While I understand the excitement aspect to it. (hence why people watch high speed chases on TV etc. and I for one wouldn't have turned my head) - and not directed at you PM203 or anyone else for that matter..........

But if my son was paddle boating through the NWZ there and this guy blew through it, I for one would have wanted to shoot out his engines. This was a blatent disregard for public safety and could have gone from exciting to tragic.

Now luckily that didn't happen and we can discuss this as an issue rather then an accident, but what we need to do is learn from this.

It isn't a matter of the class of boat that was being driven it was the driver. There has to be penalties that keep drivers like this from returning to the lake not the type of boat. The MP need to have the rights and penalties the Coast Guard has. (don't quote me but I believe if you try to out run the coast guard the fines are in the thousands of dollars - 15K comes to my mind - not to mention you may get a 50 cal. through your block) So my guess is if these were the same regulations for the MP that the CG have many people would be less likely to try a stunt like this. This shouldn't just apply to outrunning the MP but all MP regulations should mirror the CG. IMHO
I would be fine with giving the MP all the authority of the Coast Guard right up to 50 cal. The thought of NHMP with 50 caliber guns mounted on the bow of their McRibbs scares the crap out of me.