View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #50
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Without breaking the confidence entrusted to me by many business owners that I am personal friends with I will tell you this: Gas sales at marinas on the lake have been down for the last three years. In 2010 the amount of the decrease I heard from owners I talked to was in the 25% to 30% range.

In addition to the commercial and residential property on the lake that I own I also own a slip at Mountain View Yacht Club the largest marina on the lake. That slip has been rented to a tenant for many years.

MVYC has 284 slips about 50% of which are used by owners and the other half are rented out. Until 2008 there was always a waiting list to get a slip there. In 2010 there were over 50 slips (at just this one marina) whose owners wished to rent them out but could not find tenants so the slips remained vacant.

Across the United States last spring and into summer, boat sales were running about 35 percent down and in April they were 20 percent down. The sterndrive/jet boat segment sales were down about 28 percent, the personal watercraft segment was down about 13 percent. In addition, the ski boat segment was down about 25 percent. The information is based on new U.S. boat registrations in geographically dispersed states representing roughly half of the U.S. boat market.

Is with this information combined with my personal observations (involving an extensive amount of common sense) that I have come to the obvious conclusion that the boat traffic on Winnipesaukee is down substantially. I have formed my opinions based on fact, not speculation.

I hope I have provided the facts you were looking for.

Enforcement of the existing laws without a speed limit is all that we need.

Again, the people trying to push legislation that we do not need should go find a new hobby.
Those personal facts might be good enough for you but they sure aren’t what I would call accurate statistical analysis data.

“25% to 30% range”……. “about 50%”……”over 50 slips”, “running about 35 percent down”, “ski boat segment was down about 25 percent”, “representing roughly half of the U.S. boat market” ??????

Come-on TiltonBB, you can’t just throw figures like that around without having backup data. Spend some more time getting realistic figures and then let us know what you come up with.

Maybe as a hobby you should take a class in statistical analysis.