View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I've thought of doing this very thing but the weight is what has me concerned. Even with removable decking, the actual framework and pilings are going to be pretty darn heavy and keep suspended over the winter. How long a section are you lifting out?
Maxum,

My total dock length when everything is in the water is 38 ft. I have a six foot and 8 foot section that don't winch up... so 14 feet of true season dock.... Which leaves 24 feet of articulating dock... (yes I had to do the calculations to figure it all out)....

Now I feel that the previous owner way over did the construction, he used 4X8 beams, all tied together at several points with 2x8s.... If I where to rebuild it (and a couple of times I thought I was going to needed too...) I would probably build it all with 2x8s, and reinforce the two main beams with with 2x6, so that I could recess the decking.... and lighten the load some....

The 2 true seasonal sections are just your standard 2x6 dock construction...

The cement block is fairly hefty... and has several rocks in it. (I know because I new the previous owner)... and he simply used a 2" steel pipe through the block as his hinge point...

This dock is now some 25 years old.... it has a few bumps and scrapes, but is strong as ever....

Along with the floor boards, I do also take off the inner legs... so they don't get caught in the ice... Additionally, all corners of the articulating section are re-inforced with steel corner brackets, to add some rigidity, especailly when the assembly is in the air.....

If we can work out a convenient time, you are more the welcome to come over and take a look....