View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
6000kw or 6000 watt? I'm assuming the latter.

Why go through the trouble of running multiple cords and separate connections? If the machine has a 220v output, run it directly to your panel with a mechanical interlock and then you can run any of the circuits in your house.

Because I am fully electric—heat, clothes dryer, water heater, etc.—I can't run my whole house off a portable generator, but it's a breeze to click off those circuits (that I've marked with pink stickers) and electrify the rest, which means any lights, fridge, garage door openers, computer network gear, etc. can be used.

Much easier than running multiple cords, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
His unit might not have 220V. Many don’t. Also need to be careful some generators have 220V but no neutral on it. Not safe to run those to a panel. But might be ok direct to say a pump that doesn’t need neutral. You can’t mix them with 120V.

But I agree with what you said and you can still do what you said with a 120V generator. That’s what I did. None of my 220V appliances are critical. I moved all the critical circuits onto the same phase and just feed that.

Agree with the 12/3 recommendation. If the generator has a 30A 120V you should go 10/3 and feed the panel with it.

You can get an external generator panel that you move critical circuits too. Or one of those “quicky” interlocks for your main panel if you can find one that fits your panel.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote