View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #33
fatlazyless

Thought I'd bring this thread back up top because today, Monday January 3, is the first day of this season for the New Hampshire ski area's reduced midweek prices. From my memory as I recall, it is only Loon Mountain which has NO reduced pricing. Every other area; Waterville, Gunstock, Cannon, Wildcat, Cranmore and even the sophisticated and talented Attitash and Bretton Woods all have some lower priced deals going on. However, you can not expect the ski area to be too up front about the deals. They keep it a little bit of a secret and one can show up at the ticket window and pay the full $65 to 75-price on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, and the ski area will be very happy to take the money without letting you know about an existing deal that has the same ticket sold for one half the price. So, it pays to hunt around for a better Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday-Friday ticket price.

What the heck, the ski lift can be closed all day due to high winds, but once you pays for that lift ticket there ain't NO refunds so it's best to check to see that the lift is actually running first and pay later if it is a windy day. Here at Waterville Valley, the ticker window is protected with thick bullet proof glass which has a small electric powered speaking intercom in the center of the window, and you slide your money through the little space below the glass.

It takes about two seconds to figure out why the ski area have two sets of pricing for midweek and for weekends. Weekends; the ski areas are busy regardless of conditions, and midweek; they are more or less deserted regardless of conditions.

And don't forget: Waterville Valley has that scenic and popular 4.5-km Livermore Rd cross country ski trail that has been designated a "multiple use public access trail" by the U S Forest Service, which makes it a NO FEE trail. Read all about it in the other thread down in winter sports.

Is there currently enough natural snow on the very, very, very ( & I mean very smooth) smooth Livermore Rd for it to be groomed with double tracks and skating in-between right now? A good question and I do not know what with the recent Saturday night rain that washed away what little snow that was there? Prior to the Saturday night rain, the north end of Waterville Valley had received about 5-inches of dry snow a couple days earlier, or something like that?
Here's the latest: xc ski trails are CLOSED due to washed away icy snow surfaces which are ok for walking but are no good for xc skiing.

Some very good news: The WV Nordic Center in their wisdom has put up some very attractive and informative signs down at the Depot Camp-Livermore Rd three-dollar parking lot that announces to the world that the Livermore Rd and Tripoli Rd are indeed NO FEE xc ski trails. This is a first and has never happened before. In the past, this info was always kept a big hush-hush secret and it was all made pretty confusing with signs and non-signs, but now there are highly informative, well designed signs with detailed maps and easy-to-read informative signs!

Is this part of the new Waterville Valley? Let's hope so!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote