View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #62
longislander

The Special Town meeting "rumors" was especially trumpeted after the rancor at the March 12th meeting. I can personally attest to that.

It had "been heard" that the BoS were seeking ways to "reconsider" the vote.

Since the town strife is more about the "Gym" portion of the Center, not the Community" portion, there was a "shot across the bow" to the Select Board. Since the Recreation Department has been the "bone of contention" in this town fight, and the source of turmoil, a caveat was "rumored".

So, if a Special Town meeting is called (no appropriation): To see if the Town will vote to eliminate the Moultonborough Recreation Department ...

No Rec. Dept. ... No third gym needed!
A 50 registered voter petition for a Special Town meeting REQUIRES the BoS to warrant the Special Town meeting (NH law). As long as there is no "appropriation" (money issue) there is no legal requirement for Superior Court approval. If there is appropriation, then Superior Court approval must be had. The concept is the Court wants to make sure at least 50 % of the voters are aware of the money issue, and are allowed to vote on it.

The Speaks blog is only parroting what has been sent to the BoS, several times, and the blogger is a Select person. The info is sent to the BoS at no charge

Quote:
Special meetings are not often called by citizen petition, but in the event they are, the process and conduct of the meeting is really no different than the way an annual Town meeting is held.
Sure! I remember when I brought it up a couple of years ago, when I successfully petitioned the town for the fireworks ordinance. The BoS had never heard of it.

No problem with the blog posting. It only means their guard is up and they are getting worried that Special Meetings (plural) might be called this summer when the snow birds get back. Their absentee ballots do not allow them to vote on warrant articles. They will not need absentee ballots in the summer when they are back. The BoS will get an earful, directly!

It has already been suggested to some circles, to let the present anger die down a bit, and wait. Petitions gathered in, say, May, for a ,say, July Special meeting/meetings might. be more productive.

If I remember the MoBo Town Clerk's rendering of the absentee ballots, there were over 400. That means the potential of an additional 400 voters at the Special Town meeting, that couldn't make the March meeting.