Thread: First big tow
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
Top-Water

Good luck on your trip, take some pictures. As far as towing the boat goes, I guess you will have to decide for yourself on what you should use to support the engine while towing. The article link below describes some of the pros & cons. Personally I never tow (over long distances) without one. I highlighted a few sections of the article based on your boat description and something worth noting.

Link
http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trail...nsom-saver.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
The boat is a 17ft alum.
From the article
Tracker Boats, on the other hand, endorses their use and includes a "motor toter" with all of their packages. These findings fall in line with the general notion that smaller jonboats and bass boats are more susceptible to transom damage due to their higher motor-to-boat weight ratio. Aluminum boats also seem to be more prone to damage (broken welds, popped rivets) than heavier, reinforced fiberglass transoms.

Never do this!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Check your engine, but generally the is a small lever that you flop into place, and allows the engine to rest on, that will take the pressure of off the hydrolic trim ram.....
From the article
One universal word of caution is that the outboard's tilt bracket is designed to support the motor during maintenance or storage only and should never be used when trailering.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote