View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #47
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Lightbulb moored and anchored boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Just to bring this thread a little further off topic. This little tidbit has confused me for a while.

"All Vessels When Not Underway are required to use a white light visible for 360 degrees and from a distance of two miles whenever they are moored or anchored away from dock between sunset and sunrise."

Now it would be insane to think all moored boats need to have there anchor lights on all night every night. But one that comes to mind is the large sailboat on the east side of Alton Bay. That boat is pretty far from shore and is not lit (personally I think it would be ridiculous to require it). But according to the law it should be? Please correct me if I am wrong here.
That is NH legislation for you. They could never get it right! Just like the overnight anchoring law. They say you can't anchor overnight yet this law says you can if you have a white light on.

If the state was smart, every law should pass a judical test. I.E. Make sure it is black and white and it can stand up in court. Not contradictory and not conflict with other laws. You would think every law would have to pass through with an OK from the DA's office. Nope. Not in this state. I hate to be the judge.

I would fire this to Lt. Dunleavy. He would probably say only anchored watercrafts needs an anchor light. Moored boats do not.

A number of mooring fields on the lake have flashing bouys to warn other watercrafts. You would think there is a law that mooring fields have flashing bouys on the outside of the field.

I have never heard of a watercraft smashing into a mooring field on this lake. I can remember reading that it had happen in another lake.