View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #34
jkjoshuatree

Default I Was On Bear Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Saturday afternoon I was boating around Governors Island and saw a red Cigarrete boat with yellow trim being worked on. Engine compartment open. Around 7PM a boat, I think the same one, went around Bear Island. The boat was going so fast through the NWZ that I had a hard time turning my head fast enough to keep it in sight. I have never seen a boat go anywhere near that fast.

About a minute later a Marine Patrol boat came around the corner full speed then he slowed down. I turned up my scanner and heard the dispatcher ask how the chase was going. The officer replied "I can't touch him, he is going twice my speed". Then "I'll go to his house on Governors and wait for him".

Anybody know how this ended?
I'm about 13 or 14 cottages to your left and I saw it too. It was going insanely fast and we heard it long before we saw it. And we all knew it was going through the NWZ that fast by the sound.

The same day I saw three 28-32 ft Baja/Formula-type boats racing each other within 30 feet of each other. They went right around me (I was facing them) on the Southeast end of Bear. But the scary thing was how they overtook a tiny 14 foot old wooden boat with a small outboard. The couple in the old boat was well into their 80's just out trying to enjoy the lake.

I couldn't believe it. The wake alone from the three boats was almost enough to cause the little boat to take on water.