View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #59
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I expect it will be a long time before this actually gets in front of a jury, if ever. If there is an eventual settlement, as often happens, there will be some sort of non-disclosure agreement wrapped up in the deal. So, who thin ks we will ever hear anything from the Sea Ray side? Not me, but I have to think there is some sort of thought process behind their actions, or lack of action. Just can't imagine.
One benefit of social media is that it tends to amp up the pressure for a company to settle QUICKLY given a NDA won't eliminate the damage done to their reputation before it's been signed. For example, NDA or no NDA, as far as I'm concerned the damage has been done. Going forward, when I'm ready to purchase a boat, I'll remember this string (I'll even refer back to it) and the fact that Sea Ray (or the dealer) failed to respond publicly (at least on this forum) to confirm or refute the allegations. There's usually multiple sides to a story and the alternate sides aren't typically shy about explaining theirs. The fact that the dealer and Sea Ray have refrained from doing so makes them guilty in my mind. Bottom line, I'm simply not going to take chances and will side conservatively before spending that kind of money. I will never purchase a, or from, Sea Ray.

Recognizing that the boat was purchased in Massachusetts, some will argue that maybe the dealer or even Sea Ray haven't seen this string. Unfortunately that's their problem and it's why so many businesses work hard to monitor social media venues - especially those that match up with their footprint (I would think anything having to do with Lake Winni would be foremost on the minds of a MA dealer). Businesses work hard at this so they can nip problems in the bud. This seems to be a big failure on their part.

Finally, you would think our local Sea Ray dealer would at least step in to say that it wasn't THEM that sold the boat. Without any such statement, their reputation is being damaged even as they are an innocent bystander. Perhaps, a stretch I know, they could even step in with a PR win and offer some intervention or consultation.