View Single Post
Old 08-21-2020, 05:49 PM   #44
NH.Solar

Its truly a great time to be a car guy and both electric and gas have their place. In my garage sits a 91 Miata, a Duramax, and a Chevy Volt and I'd hate to part with any of them.
The Duramax has been a beast and I've pulled some loads way over the 12K trailer rating with ease ...it does have upgraded brakes and a load equalizing hitch. I'll think about replacing it when someone finally comes out with a hybrid plug-in pickup where the electric motors are the front wheel drive system.
The Miata superceded two Factory Five cobras. The cobras were great fun and I thought they were absolutely the balls ....until I had a ride in a 347 monstered Miata. I bought my flawless low mileage Miata with the intention of immediately dropping a small block V8 in it but it has now been six years and over 100k miles with the stock motor and the car still makes me smile every time I drive it. Dropping from 390 rwh to 90 in the same weight vehicle does take its toll in acceleration but the snick-snick instant shifter action of the Miata makes rowing it down the road a blast. Motor and transmission are beginning to become a little tired however and it won't be long before a 525 hp LS3 crate engine is living under the hood.
I bought a low mileage Volt Premier in December to take the wear and tear off my Jimmy and be able to maximize my gain from the new solar system on my roof. The car is truly a delight to drive and easily is saving me $200 a month. This one was a lease turn in at Colonial Chevrolet, was flawless, had 24K miles on it, and was to me, really cheap! I wanted a Volt because of range anxiety and it has proved its worth time and time again. During the winter I ski Cannon 3-4 times a week and with a full charge it will go all the way up from my New Hampton home on electricity and the generator motor doesn't need to start until I'm somewhere around Campton on my return. When running on the generator the car still gets in excess of 40 miles a gallon. In summer I rarely need to put fuel in it at all and the fuel for my travels is coming mostly from my solar array.
Lastly and going back to the original subject Nautique is producing an electric ski boat now and here's the link. I hope that they will be following the wakeboard boat with a smaller much cheaper tournament boat soon, the boat is cool but that price, ouch!