View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
ApS

Arrow This is A U G U S T...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I'm an excellent swimmer, a diver, and former water safety instructor, and I always wear my PFD vest while kayaking...out of habit. That said, I'm usually fishing in the kayak, and this is a double-duty vest, which has clippers and forceps hanging from retractable cords, and pockets for small tackle containers. But still, it's peace of mind. You never know when you could have an episode that renders you unable to swim -- medical event, collision, etc. And, depending on the time of year, hypothermia is a very real threat.
I can understand kayakers not wearing PFDs: It's hot, most of their kayaking is close to shore, or near shallows where they can stand up. Even wearing PFDs, it's important to stay with your boat. (Unless it sinks). Even when your boat should sink—in Lake Winnipesaukee—you're likely only a short distance from shore, where even a sudden storm can cause you to drift to shore.

Those who cross the Broads should definitely be thinking of their passengers' safety. There's a reason Parker Island was once named Hurricane Island.

BoatUS considered the opposite condition—prevalent here in August—and that is hyperthermia.

Quote:
[H]yperthermia, when the body's temperature rises above the normal level of 98.6 degrees F, can pose a life-threatening risk.

Hyperthermia most commonly affects: people over 50; those taking diuretics, sedatives, tranquilizers, and some heart and blood-pressure medications; people who are over- or underweight; or have a condition that causes dehydration. The condition can cause several illnesses...:
https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2016...perthermia.asp
As for "floatability", several years ago, a Marine was blown off a US Navy carrier cruising off Pakistan at night. Because of his Navy survival training, he survived 96 hours, and was picked up by fishermen...:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...155-story.html

Of course, after his rescue, he immediately called home.
Quote:
"Hello Dad, how are you doing?"