View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #37
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I'm sorry you are confused about my philosophy. I have no problem with high speed boats or big boats. Provided they are operated where it is appropriate. And in my opinion Winnipesaukee is not the appropriate venue.

My destination is not the "Edge of Space". We will travel well past the edge of space, into space itself.
I'll not argue with your HP limits, you've explained them well enough.

Such a rush thinking about outer space, you're a lucky guy.

I know what you'd like on Winni, at least I think I do, some only guess.
Without quibbling over HP, most Volvo and Mercruiser V8 stern drives are between 220HP and 320 or so if memory serves me right, those would be the 5.0 and 5.7 liter engines. Mine's a 5.0 at 260HP. Those engines, as well as some V6 powerplants, would be on boats from about 19' through 23'24'. At some point, the HO engines are preferable due to the weight of the boat. So you have bowriders, cuddies and deck boats with these engines. Some smaller cruisers as well, which are very underpowered and tend to use more gas and plow for quite a ways.

I know those aren't your target boats. If I read you correctly, these are the boats that would be prevented from being used on Winnipesaukee for boat model years 2012 and later.

1) Most every cruiser (but certainly not all), from around 26' and up. (don;t hold me to exact estimates, because I've seen Bayliner cruisers with a 5.0 or 5.7 less than 300 hp)

2) Any and all boats having a Mercruiser 525, or 6.2 liter engine. This would cover some cruisers, but mostly all performance boats.

3) Most any boat with twin engines. Again, mostly limited to cruisers and performance boats.

4) Quite a few newer 300 hp to 350 hp outboards out there. Bass boats, etc..

So what can be bought new and run on your Lake Winnipesaukee?

All sailboats, human-powered etc...
Party boats
recreational boats that meet your restrictions
Hardly any cruisers.

Basically, Winni would be a lake for boats under 25', but some over that size would meet the criteria.

I guess in a perfect world, everyone would have the same boat I did, or maybe boating on the lake would be just for me. No nasty waves on weekends, no traffic, no nothing but what I wanted. Trust me BI, I know where you are coming from. I've seen out of control lakes, filled with boneheads that seem to be able to afford anything. I just think your version of Nirvana should not become law.