Thread: Wave System
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #11
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
The wave system seems to be just a fan that extracts air out of the basement. If your other rooms have AC it might draw dryer air in to reduce humidity. You could probably rig up a duct fan with a humidistat to get the same result for a fraction of the cost.

A dehumidifier is really the only way to remove moisture in the air. At home we installed a ductless AC last year in our basement but it's just too cold and it short cycles so it's still humid. We have to add a de-humidifier as well.

Our condo a the lake is 1/2 below grade so we run a dehumidifier all the time and it just pumps out automatically. Keeps the RH at 45% and no smell.

There are some built in dehumidifiers from SantaFe and Aprilair but they are around $1500....
When we do (what ever we do) I'd be ok with up around 1,500 if it cured the issue, I'd put that at about my threshold for what I'd want to pay. I've bought $200 units before at home and most of them crap out for one reason or the other in a year or two. One last thing is there any "higher" end dealers for dehumidifiers like the SantaFe in the immediate area? Looking into them it seems you have to buy one approved for colder temperature operation, during the winter we maintain a temp of 45-50 when not there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote