View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #15
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I think it’s a bit to early to see that. Once this thing blows over and a new “normalcy” exists, there will still likely be an office presence requirement for many. Most house holds in Massachusetts are dual income earners and the likely hood both spouses will work remotely all the time seems slim. While I’m not one of them, I know some people with second homes here that love the summers at the lake but have no interest in being here in the winter.
I think that you have hit it on the head.

Tying in a comment from Thinkxingu -- there are indeed many Companies which have postponed any consideration of return to "normalcy" until after the first of the year (my Company being one of them). Thus, having an easy ability to work remote, I have spent the better part of July/Aug here at the Lake working.

However, to the point of dual income - due to her position my wife needs to periodically go to her office so she stays 2-1/2 days a week back in MA (Sunday nites/ drives up Wednesday afternoons).

As this situation "normalizes" no one can fully predict today what the new Corporate landscape/ work environment will fully look like. We all agree, that the degree of remote staff will be more fully embraced but there are other considerations such as ongoing training of staff, home work environment (kitchen tables don't cut it for a desk long term), day care, and the simple fact that some people are just not disciplined enough to be remote, etc. These are all things that within our Company we are trying to rationalize ( I am part of the Management Team of a Global company). And I can assure you there is no simple blanket answer.

One thing for sure is that there will be a LOT of office space opening up for rent in MA !!