View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #76
Winilyme

Default MotorHead and 8gv

MotorHead probably chose the wrong venue for his comment and could have worded it more sensitively. Having said that, I'd like to expand a little bit on what I think 8gv is getting at and how I feel it relates to MotorHead's post.

We can no longer push topics and opinions like these out of the broader conversation - burying them as has been done for centuries. Solving problems doesn't mean avoiding the elephant in the room, it means engaging with others about it. That takes people who, because they trust one another (as I believe most on this forum do), have the courage to listen to the opinions of others while assuming positive intent and responding in kind.

The convenience store sign (assuming it was genuinely put there by the owner) is an example of someone who desires only to 'tell' versus 'listen'. There's no trust there and it certainly isn't courageous. It's "my way or the highway."

Diversity and inclusion are huge issues right now in America. This isn't going away, nor should it. Only through engaging on topics like these can we hope to get to the root of opposing opinions...hopefully finding answers that improve our tolerance of one another.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post: