View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 08:18 AM   #212
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
So with commercial operations aside everyone here is fine with modifying the docks for personal seaplane use right? As long as the public docks aren’t being used for hire is what I’m gathering.

I live in Alton bay. There is an faa approved runway. There is zero facility’s for seaplanes. If I want to stop and give my mother a ride I can’t. Drop in for ice cream or dinner, nope. Furthermore, if you think there is going to be hundreds of operations a day you’re wrong. Most pilots show discretion and won’t land if it’s busy and crowded with boats. This area was built off seaplanes. Most people think it’s pretty neat to see them. But I get it, you don’t want it in your back yard. I don’t hear you complaining about the loud boats blasting there radios, tearing up and down the lake at all hours of the day. Or the wake boats mindlessly cruising around too.

http://weirsbeach.com/reasons-to-vis...seaplane-base/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there wasn’t a commercial tour operation, the likelihood of seaplanes in 19 Mile Bay is likely very intermittent, at best. The only reason for a private seaplane to land there is the store, but without aviation fuel, I think it is doubtful there would be much seaplane use.

The real use here and at least my objection is driven by the commercial nature of the operation. The safety profile is very different between intermittent private use and continuous commercial use. The plan is to run tours during peak boating times. I agree that private pilots show discretion not only in not landing if busy, but also in avoiding busy boating times altogether. The incentives are very different for a commercial operation that has paying customers waiting on the pier and whose business has peak operations at the same time as peak boating use. And that is all before addressing using town property for commercial operations.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post: