View Single Post
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 AM   #28
ApS

Smile Gratifying Responses...

Yes, this is an "old" thread, but so is starting a woodstove fire—"old".

I neglected to mention that the "semi-cardboard" paper run through a paper-shredder is readily flammable either inside or outside of the firebox. Placed on "dying" embers, they will readily ignite and possibly escape the firebox. So, store shredded paper well away from the fire door, shred only what you need—or as I do—store it in a metal tackle box.

Birch bark is truly the most reliable fire-starter, but is difficult to store. Shredded paper can include financial documents you don't want around, and burning them is a really thorough way of disposal, as well as providing a "free" fire-starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Take a couple of old egg cartons and either put the lint from your dryer in the holes or sawdust. Then just cover with old wax from your wife's old candles when there is no wick left. Let dry for 24 hrs and then break them off. I normal use 2 at a time. They work great and they are really cheap.
Old wax candles may not always be handy for the egg cartons; however, disposing of bacon fat seemed to be an issue here a few years ago. At the risk of making the neighbors suddenly hungry for breakfast, why not dispose of bacon fat in the same way?