View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A difference of opinion on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Just a few sticks of kindling and then use a torch as Dan suggested.

If you have seasoned firewood, a short time with your ax at the chopping block will produce a lot of kindling. You can easily split ether some knot free pieces of firewood or some short pieces of scrap building lumber.

I just can't conceive of buying some sort of starter wood.
With very few exceptions (days), we burn wood from October to April, approximately 170-180 days. Some days restarting a fire that has died down after burning for several hours, others starting a new fire (like after cleaning out the ashes, done about every 3rd day). My one year + supply of fatwood stores in box that is about 2 cu. ft in size. Storing that amount of kindling takes far more space, and with no cellar, must be outside.

With 11 5 ft X 4 ft sliding glass windows across the front and side of the main living area of our house, when the fire burns down and temps outside are down, getting the fire burning again is pretty important, especially if I want to keep the wife happy, and we all know that a happy wife is a very happy life. And, seriously, my wife is often the one who is around when the fire needs to be restarted, and she likes the fatwood.

We all buy or use things that cost us a lot money that we don't necessarily have to buy (I would not have a gas grill on my boat, I prefer the picnic aspect of eating on the boat), but we do it because we prefer it or it is the easiest way for us to do it.

On last thought... Burning wood for heat provides heat three different times: 1. When you cut the wood. 2. When you stack the wood. 3. And when you burn the wood. (I know, carrying it in from the wood shed can be another one. )