View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #90
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
It's all about numbers and returns. If the numbers work then some consider it a worthwhile investment.

Personally? I don't think I would sleep very well at night.....
It's your return on equity and potentially a major tax write off in depreciation against your earned-income while also getting to use the property (there are uhhhh, IRS restrictions).

I've owned rental property in San Francisco for 40 years. Never a problem so severe I could not handle it while 3,200 miles away. The key is great tenants (proper screening) and a good building in a great location. And a reliable stable of contacts to do repairs, is a must.

Establishing a WOW! factor upon first sight creates demand and competition when showing the units. I've worked with a lot of landlords who owned Sect. 8, etc. in marginal neighborhoods. The rent is guaranteed but the wear-and-tear is more severe because Sect. 8 people are home more often, even during non-COVID times. More tenants per/unit. Usually less educated. However, choosing and screening wisely, it's a great deal.

Short-term rental is handled differently. The ability-to-pay is not the issue since most rent is paid ahead of time. The problem becomes spotting potential behavior problems...Loud partying, unwarranted guests, pets, etc.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote