Thread: Tax abatements
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Has anyone had recent experience obtaining a tax abatement in the lakes region, particularly in Gilford? We are looking at a property that is selling well below assessed value with plenty of comps to back up our claim.

Just curious how responsive the towns are to this, or should I plan on hunkering down for battle should we go this route?
Personally I would be prepared for a battle. The downside of NH is that property Tax is very important to the Budgets of the State and Towns. They hit the lakes region pretty hard. I to am in a situation where I could try and go for a tax abatement. I did the math to see how much could be saved. In the end the savings, just seem to be justified considering the hassle..... The argument most times (and in my case) is really over the worth of the land, very hard to show that the lands value isn't what the town wants it to be. If the issue was with the value of the structure you might have a case.