View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #24
ursa minor

Speaking of the Mount and horns, when our kids were little and the Mount had proper direct reversing Enterprise engines...

We'd be in Wolfeboro and the Mount would be ready to leave, the kids would be concerned about the loud ship's horn and would walk around with their hands over their ears. I taught them to watch the flappers up on the engine exhausts from the stack; as long as at least one of them was up, no horn. When the flapper dropped, time to cover up before 1 long and 3 short blasts "my engines are operating astern" on the horn. Yes, I'm a reformed marine engineer / propulsion nerd.

Speaking of which, recently appointed Captain Weirs Beach Boater was going to share some secret tapes of Enterprise engines sounds while underway with us nostalgia buffs a couple years ago. Please Captain, please? . (I know the new Cats are better / safer in probably 200 different ways but air start / direct reverse is just miles cooler in a steam punk way). The exhaust sound was like nothing modern and I still miss it.