View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #12
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yes, this is common and it comes from their early experience with the older temperature controls in their first cars. You remember the type where you adjusted the cold/hot mixing valve that set the amount of heat coming into the car. Turn it all the way up and the car would heat faster as there is no cool air mixed with the heat from the internal radiator.

I have the same problem in our newer cars that have proper thermostats instead of the older mixing valve temperature control. I tell her just to set the thermostat to a desired comfortable temperature and the system will automatically do whatever is needed to hold the desired temp. But she continues old habits and cranks the thermostat all the way up until she is overheated, and then tries to turn it down again. I can't get her to just leave it set to one comfortable temperature.

And her mom also likes to turn the heat power ON and OFF, even though I tell her that just setting the desired temperature on the thermostat does the same thing: The heater won't run if the air temperature is above the desired temperature. Somehow she thinks she's saving money by turning off the heater completely.

Good luck. As much as I try to explain how it works, thinking it will help with their understanding and perhaps curb these habits, their eyes just glaze over and they continue to use decades of old habits. I bet you will never win this one.

Back to the signal enhancers. I have an older one (1X) also, and a new (4G) version. Most new phones can be set to use WiFi calling, so these are not needed as much as they used to be. I paid for the 1x version, but got Verizon to loan me the 4G for free. I had to tell them that I have some older phones that don't have WiFi calling as an option.

I no longer use the older 1X version, but the newer 4G version is quite nice, but they removed the ability to restrict its use to only my personal phones. It can now be used by anyone that is close enough to get the signal. I'm not worried about this as you would have to be in my home or on my property to use it. Their signal doesn't carry too far.
Your wife and mine would get along just fine.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote