View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I will disagree that buying existing property will result in a substantial saving. One of the bonuses of buying or building a new house is you start with everything new from appliances and heating system to windows and insulation. That will represent a tremendous saving with lower utility bills and little or no repairs needed over the first ten years.

Unless it is a waterfront or on a lot with special circumstances there are ways to build and save, and still end up with a quality product.

For plans, many people find them on the internet. There are thousands of plans available so it would be surprising if you could not find something to your liking. I would never pay an architect 10% to draw plans. (Unless I was in that "money is no object" status, which I am not!)

If you are comfortable doing some of the supervision then acting as your own General Contractor will save a lot of money. Ask each of the subs for the names of people who they have worked with and would recommend. With online reviews available on many sites, from Yahoo to Google, it will help determine the quality of the people you find.

It seems like this site would also be a good resource. Many times when people post here about a need for skilled tradesman they get multiple responses and recommendations.

I have done a lot of building from spec houses to remodeling. I can't pound a nail and have it go in straight but I have been able to find people than can. It has saved a lot of money over the years.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote