View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #125
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
No analogy will be perfect, but it seems that some on the forum are unwilling to admit that swimmers, elderly people who may wish to just sit on the dock (my parents), people who live near the lake(and for that matter, all NH taxpayers because their taxes are affected by tourist dollars), ...really just about anyone in NH should have a say as well(and even kayakers and sailors).
Yes and No. I do agree all recreational users of this lake should have say. No matter what their favorite activities are. That is where I draw the line. I just don't see any validity to a poll that asks the question of a person who has absolutely no knowledge of the subject matter at hand other that what the polls leading questions led them to believe.

I used the “headlight use at night” example a while back. Any boater with any clue with regard to nighttime operation of a vessel understands how dangerous it would be to operate with “headlights” on the lake. However, I proposed that I could formulate a question in a poll that would most definitely return results that would favor nighttime headlight use as an issue of safety. If I were to poll the entire state of New Hampshire I am positive my numbers would reflect support of such a proposal. Conversely I believe that the educated recreational users of this lake would mostly return an emphatic NO to that silly question.

Resident: Hello?

Me: Good Evening Ma’am

Resident: Good Evening

Me: May I have a moment of your time?

Resident: Why, what is this about?

Me: Ma’am this is a poll regarding safety on our inland waterways.

Resident: Well of course I have time for that I am a concerned citizen that cares about safety.

Me: Good. Ma’am are you aware that there are no current laws on the books requiring boaters to use headlights at night while operating their boats.

Resident: Oh my goodness! There isn’t?

Me: Would you support a law that would require boaters to use headlights while they operate at night?

Resident: Of course I would! Why would they ever even think about not using headlights at night? That seems so dangerous.

Me: Thank you for your time Ma’am.