View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #223
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
It's not just the obscene amount of money he makes....yes, I am a free marketeer and I believe people who work hard and are successful should reap the benefits of that hard work....it's HOW he makes his money....right now he is reaping the benefits off those severely affected from the corona virus...sort of like big pharma making billions literally off of sick people. He treats his employees horribly, particularly the low level warehouse workers.
And maybe the thing that gets me the most is that Amazon and Google are not going to rest until they know EVERYTHING about us: where we go, what we do, what we look at, what we say. Who knew you can't turn Alexa off....she is listening to our conversations 24/7. Who knew that they can watch us through our cameras, notice we have an older refrigerator and send us ads for new ones.
I just find him smarmy, too rich, and invading our privacy even more than we know.
Bezos is extraordinarily rich primarily because he built something magnificent that we all enjoy. (I don't see anyone calling for a boycott of the evil Amazon.) As are Gates, Zuckerberg, Walton, and many pharma CEOs. The real anger against Bezos is that he owns a newspaper that's been very good at pointing out the President's shortcomings.

But I agree that the excesses these guys go to are often sociopathic. So I support the bipartisan effort to increase regulation on big tech, and I hope it will curb some of the stuff you listed.