View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Please refer to this document when wondering what the bouys mean...

There are 4 navigational New Hampshire specific spars:

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...on-System-ATON

New Hampshire’s Spar Buoys

Vessels operating on New Hampshire waters must observe these rules when encountering spar buoys.

All Black

This buoy marks one side of a well-defined channel. Go between it and its companion “all red” spar buoy.

All Red

This buoy marks one side of a well-defined channel. Go between it and its companion “all black” spar buoy.

White with Red Top

If heading east or west, go south of this buoy. If heading north or south, go west of this buoy.

White with Black Top

If heading east or west, go north of this buoy. If heading north or south, go east of this buoy.

I keep this in mind, and have not found an instance where they have failed me. While I have a map, and reference it... I also think through my heading and positioning All marker on the lake that I have encountered make sense if I follow the above rules.

LIforrelaxin

Again I agree with you ..... this is scary (twice in the same morning.)

However, there are a few markers that would have even a seasoned operator double check the chart ...... and yes, it does matter from which direction and more specifically what ANGLE you approach them ..... the first of these that comes immediately to mind is black top FL#30

Although not paired with the black top / red top combo just NE of it (edge of Bear isl) visually as you approach it would appear that you are about to split two Black Tops (a NO NO).

The Black top just off the SW edge of Treasure is another.

BUT - your point is valid -- 99% of the time they are quite easy if you know your compass.

When in doubt -- Always use the Chart ..... 30+ years and I am not embarrassed to pull it out