View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #39
ITD

Beaver dams can be a big nuisance. We have one behind our home here in Massachusetts and the one thing I learned is beavers, while prolific dam builders, really aren't that good at it. The dam I'm talking about holds back about 5 acres of water to a depth of around 3 feet. Why do I say they are not very good at it? Because over the last 15 or so years the dam has breached catastrophically at least twice. Generally what happens is that a large long rainfall starts overflowing the dam. Being constructed mainly of sticks and mud, the dam eventually breaches and lets all the water out, usually in less than a day. So I'm thinking that although the workers definitely sped up the process, it would have happened eventually anyway. Now that said, a little preventative maintenance, such as clearing the dam as it's being built probably would prevent this from happening in the future. Also a beaver trapper could solve the problem long term. As far as cleaning up the refuse? I'm torn on that as it may do more damage than good.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote